Thursday 24 January 2013

Cafe Valentino

Well the Divine Diners headed off for a "school night" dinner at Cafe Valentino this week.

This outing came under our "relocation rule" as we had not ventured there in it's new location in St Asaph Street.   The new CV is airy and roomy, yet still had the vibe of the old venue.  Perhaps it's the brick wall with momentos hanging on it - in true CV style.

Anyway we felt it was a great new venue and I personally loved the mosaic wood-fire pizza oven, visible from the main dining area.

Amongst the dishes ordered were the Mediterranean Salad (with lamb) which looked divine and was nearly my choice.  My two friends confirmed it was very good.  Also ordered were a vegetarian gnocchi dish, a seafood pasta.  I ordered the lamb shanks, as did one other, but we both went for the "little boys" version - with one lambshank rather than two.  Good choice, as I don't think I would have managed a second one - it was beautifully cooked but very filling, served on a lovely parmesan mash with a tomato and bean sauce.

A little time between courses while fine conversation was had, and yes we decided desserts would be ordered.  I was going to be so good, given that I'm trying to be healthy... but if there's Creme Brulee on the menu...  Suffice to say I ordered said dish!  Others ordered the Tiramasu (to share, and it was definitely a sharing sized serve) and the fabulous chocolate concoction "valentino al cioccolato".  One of the others went for a tea with a chocolate truffle.

All in all, we spent a great three and a half hours in this establishment and I think the consensus is that Cafe Valentino is back, better than ever. We certainly liked the high roof and openness.   Given time, I'm sure there will be more and more momentoes to adorn the wall as Christchurch rebuilds.

I forgot to take photos until the end, so unfortunately you only have our dessert selection to drool over!

4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment